Description: Bill and Greg discuss discuss the Crimea crisis and Newsweek’s print resurrection. Persephone updates us on the Ley Gallardon abortion controversy in Spain.
March 3, 2014 – Arsenal for Democracy 75
In March 2013, a little less than a year ago, I interviewed the University of Delaware’s Dr. Julio Carrion, an expert on mass support for authoritarian alternatives to democracy in Latin America, about the legacy of President Hugo Chavez, who had just passed away at the time. Since then, his party and successor has struggled to keep Venezuela’s population happy — leading to protests in the last several days.
This 18 minute interview provides a ton of great background information on the problems facing Venezuelans today.
AFD 73 – Michael Sam, Uganda
New episode: Nate and Greg join Bill to discuss Michael Sam as well as Uganda’s anti-gay push from US evangelicals.
Note: This is the full 43 minute version of this episode. The air version this week only included the first segment. We’ll be returning to full-length episodes on air next week.
Just to let everyone know: No new episode of Arsenal for Democracy this week. We should be back next week. Lots more written content as usual in the coming days, of course!
“AFD 71 – Return to No-Ethics Land”
Half Episode due to UD Athletics: An update on the ethics scandal discussion in Ep 50. Michael from Pound 4 Pound Boxing Report talks about the latest Fox News ignorance. Tunisia gets a new constitution.
– ThinkProgress:”Former Virginia Governor and Wife Indicted on 14 Felony Counts Over Gifts Scandal”
– TPM: “The Eight Juiciest Revelations From The Bob McDonnell Indictment”
– Washington Post: “McDonnell rejected plea offer to face one felony, spare wife any charges, avoid trial”
– Media Matters: “Fox’s Bolling: “I Don’t Think There’s Racism,” Because We Have A Black President And Black Entertainment Channels”
– Media Matters: “Fox’s Eric Bolling’s Race Problem”
– BBC: “Tunisia’s NCA Agrees to New Constitution”
– Foreign Policy: “Egypt’s Women Fight Back“