From the host of the “Arsenal For Democracy” talk show on 91.3 FM WVUD/WVUD HD-1 Newark in Delaware comes the Arsenal For Democracy blog. (An antecedent publication to this site, involving some of the same writers, was Starboard Broadside.)
– Bill Humphrey (editor-in-chief & host) is a global affairs analyst with a background in history, geography, and political communication. He is the main host of the “Arsenal For Democracy” radio show which is produced in Newton MA and airs out of Newark DE. From December 2015 to September 2016, he was running for office in Massachusetts.
Since December 2014, he has been a Senior Editor at TheGlobalist.com. Previously, Bill worked as The Globalist’s assistant editor and as a researcher at The Globalist Research Center for over a year, working with scholars and government officials from around the world. Before returning to The Globalist, Bill worked as a Research Associate for a small, multinational economic development consulting firm.
Previously, Bill was the co-founder and co-editor-in-chief of the Starboard Broadside political blog in Massachusetts from 2008 to 2011. Bill is the author of I Accept Your Nomination: American Dream Rhetoric in Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speeches, 1932-2008 (Marker Press, 2012) and is a graduate of the University of Delaware.
About the Team
– Greg (co-host) previously studied Political Science, U.S. History, and public opinion polling at the University of Delaware. He currently works as a Research Assistant studying Health Policy with a focus on issues concerning health insurance and disease prevention while seeking his Master’s Degree in Public Health in the same department.
– Kelley (contributer) first co-hosted Arsenal for Democracy as an undergraduate student at the University of Delaware. After earning degrees in Biology and Sociology, Kelley left for the western highlands of Guatemala to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the health sector. Kelley has returned home to the U.S. and is now working on Arsenal for Democracy as a co-host and writer.
– De Ana Jones (contributing columnist) is a writer and podcaster based in Southern California. She is the co-host of Nerdgasm Noire, a podcast about nerd and pop culture from a black, female perspective. She also has her own black, female centered blog at NerdyGirlSwag.com.
– Maria Jackson (essayist) is a thirty-something, 4th generation Georgia Peach who writes for Shakefire.com and can be heard trading opinions and laughter on the Nerdgasm Noire podcast, with Arsenal For Democracy columnist De Ana and others. Co-owner and full time fatshionista for luvfattax.com.
– Nate (contributing editor & past co-host) has been a regular co-host on the “Arsenal For Democracy” show and was previously the co-founder and co-editor-in-chief of the Starboard Broadside political blog in Massachusetts from 2008 to 2011. Nate has worked on several congressional campaigns in Massachusetts, Maine, and New Hampshire.
– Rachel and Sarah (co-host and contributor) are sisters based in Boise, Idaho, where they are active in progressive politics. Rachel is a microbiologist.
Note: Due to the radio show hiatus or other professional commitments, the individuals below are on leave. Their biographies and links to past work remain listed below.
– Ben Tolkin (Micron contributor, on leave) studied Philosophy, Neuroscience, Psychology, and Korean at Washington University in St. Louis. He’s currently trying to study everything else.
– Persephone (labor contributor, on leave) was a managing editor of the Starboard Broadside political blog in Massachusetts and is a recurring co-host on the Arsenal For Democracy radio show. She has previously worked on a mayoral campaign in Boston and earned her Master’s degree in Belgium. She is currently back in the United States, pursuing a PhD and organizing grad student unionists.
– Sasha (contributor, on leave) was a founding co-host of the Arsenal For Democracy radio show in Delaware and remains a recurring guest commentator on the show. She has previously worked on the Delaware Democratic Coordinated campaign in 2010 and graduated from the University of Delaware with a B.A. in Political Science. She is currently working for a non-profit in Baltimore.
Our Core Principles
- We support social democracy, progressive ideals, social capitalism, an engaged internationalism abroad, responsible environmental stewardship, social justice, equal rights for all, equal economic opportunity, organized labor, and civil liberties.
- We believe the Millennial Generation will play a leading role in the policymaking of the coming century and in shaping the future beyond our lifetimes. Our generation is not substantially represented in policy circles, nor is much attention paid to training young people to assume leadership roles. We want to help prepare our fellow future leaders and advocate for our interests today.
- We aim to provide informed and critical commentary on the global issues of the day, from the perspective of the U.S. political left and its relatives, in the hope of arming young progressives and social democrats with the facts and arguments to begin taking on bold leadership roles in advancing and strengthening American society in the 21st century.
This website is a personal venture by Bill Humphrey, which does not generate profit and is primarily supported out-of-pocket. It is not connected with any political committees.