From the host of the “Arsenal For Democracy” talk show (formerly on 91.3 FM WVUD/WVUD HD-1 Newark in Delaware for almost a decade) comes the Arsenal For Democracy blog. [We are no longer regularly writing on the site but continuing to produce regular podcast episodes with detailed research dossiers attached. However, for a few years, we were writing every day, and that content is still posted on this website.]
– Bill Humphrey (editor-in-chief & host) is a local elected official and a global affairs analyst with a background in history, geography, and political communication. He is the lead host of the “Arsenal For Democracy” podcast which is produced in Newton MA (and aired out of Newark DE as an FM radio show from 2011-2020).
Previously, he was a Senior Editor at TheGlobalist.com and a researcher at The Globalist Research Center, working with scholars and government officials from around the world.
Previously, Bill was the co-founder and co-editor-in-chief of the Starboard Broadside political blog in Massachusetts from 2008 to 2011. Bill is the author of I Accept Your Nomination: American Dream Rhetoric in Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speeches, 1932-2008 (Marker Press, 2012) and is a graduate of the University of Delaware.
– Rachel (lead co-host) is based in Boise, Idaho, where she is active in progressive politics. Rachel is a microbiologist.
About the Team
– Nate (Patreon co-host) has been a regular co-host on the “Arsenal For Democracy” show and was previously the co-founder and co-editor-in-chief of an earlier political blog in Massachusetts from 2008 to 2011. Nate has worked on several congressional campaigns in Massachusetts, Maine, and New Hampshire.
– Kelley (co-host) first co-hosted Arsenal for Democracy as an undergraduate student at the University of Delaware and did so again in 2015 and in 2020. After earning degrees in Biology and Sociology, Kelley left for the western highlands of Guatemala to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the health sector. Kelley has returned home to the U.S. and is now working in education policy after completing graduate school in that field.
– Greg (fill-in co-host) previously studied Political Science, U.S. History, and public opinion polling at the University of Delaware. He went on to obtain a Master’s Degree in Public Health.
– Sarah (fill-in co-host) is Rachel’s sister and was often a crucial fill-in co-host of the radio show for various other hosts before Rachel came on board as a regular.
Biographies and links to past contributors remain listed below.
– Jonathan Cohn (co-host on hiatus) is a Boston-based political activist, perhaps best known for his efforts on government transparency and in helping to halt the Boston Olympics 2024 bid. (@JonathanCohn)
– Ben Tolkin (Micron contributor) studied Philosophy, Neuroscience, Psychology, and Korean at Washington University in St. Louis. He’s currently trying to study everything else.
– Persephone (labor contributor) was a managing editor of an earlier political blog in Massachusetts and is a recurring co-host on the Arsenal For Democracy radio show. She has previously worked on a mayoral campaign in Boston and earned her Master’s degree in Belgium. She is currently back in the United States, pursuing a PhD and organizing grad student unionists.
– Sasha (contributor) was a founding co-host of the Arsenal For Democracy radio show in Delaware and remains a recurring guest commentator on the show. She has previously worked on the Delaware Democratic Coordinated campaign in 2010 and graduated from the University of Delaware with a B.A. in Political Science. She is currently working for a non-profit in Baltimore.
– De Ana Jones (contributing columnist) is a writer and podcaster based in Southern California. She is the co-host of Nerdgasm Noire, a podcast about nerd and pop culture from a black, female perspective. She also has her own black, female centered blog at NerdyGirlSwag.com.
– Maria Jackson (essayist) is a thirty-something, 4th generation Georgia Peach who writes for Shakefire.com and can be heard trading opinions and laughter on the Nerdgasm Noire podcast, with Arsenal For Democracy columnist De Ana and others. Co-owner and full time fatshionista for luvfattax.com.
This website is a personal venture by Bill Humphrey. It is not connected with any political committees.