Description | Topics: Bundy Ranch standoff, Allen West, HBO’s Veep. People: Bill, Nate, Greg, and guest Daniel Fidler.
– Why Cliven Bundy owes the Federal government a million dollars in back taxes (and why he believes the United States doesn’t have any authority over him)
– What Allen West’s latest anti-Muslim rant tells us about American views on governance and the Framers’ intent
– Political Pop Culture: Why you should be watching HBO’s “Veep,” now in its 3rd season.
Part 1 – Bundy Ranch Standoff:
Part 1 – Move Your Cows, Bundy – AFD 81
Part 2 – Allen West:
Part 2 – Allen West – AFD 81
Part 3 – Daniel Fidler on HBO’s “Veep,” season 3 [Spoiler Alert]:
Part 3 – Veep Review – AFD 81
To get one file for the whole episode, we recommend using one of the subscribe links at the bottom of the post.
Nate and Greg join Bill to talk about rising vaccine hysteria, the importance of public vaccinations, and how the “debate” fits into the broader arc of American politics and ideology. European correspondent Persephone looks at the debate over Spanish time zones and siesta culture. Finally Nate, Greg, and Bill look at Crimea in the context of other separatist/independence movements, such as Scotland and Catalonia.
Part 1: Part 1: Vaccines – AFD 76
Part 2: Part 2: Siesta Culture – AFD 76
Part 3: Part 3: Independence Movements – AFD 76
Note 1: This week, the online/podcast version contains an additional segment not aired on WVUD for time purposes. The whole episode with all 3 segments this week is an hour long.
Note 2: This week, the online version is split into one file for each segment. To get one file for the whole thing, we recommend using one of the subscribe links at the bottom of the post.
– Mother Jones: Study: You Can’t Change an Anti-Vaxxer’s Mind
– BBC: Analysis: Why Russia’s Crimea move fails legal test
– Slate: Crimea referendum: Is the U.S. hypocritical about which independence movements it supports?
– The Globalist: A History of Spanish Autonomy
– The Globalist: Spain Urgently Needs Consolidation
– The Globalist: To Secede or Not to Secede: The Case of Europe
RSS Feed: Arsenal for Democracy Feedburner
iTunes Store Link: “Arsenal for Democracy by Bill Humphrey”
Episode Description: Nate and Greg join Bill to discuss the political scandal at PBS, then they talk about Arizona’s anti-gay religious discrimination bill, SB 1062.
AFD 74 – Arizona SB 1062, PBS Scandal
AFD 73 – Michael Sam, Uganda
New episode: Nate and Greg join Bill to discuss Michael Sam as well as Uganda’s anti-gay push from US evangelicals.
Note: This is the full 43 minute version of this episode. The air version this week only included the first segment. We’ll be returning to full-length episodes on air next week.
AFD 72 – Olympics, SodaStream
Half Episode: Greg and Bill discuss controversies over the 2014 Winter Olympics and over the company SodaStream.